SubjectRe: Updated Kernel Hacker's guide to git
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>> Another year, another update! :)
>>
>> The kernel hacker's guide to git has received some updates:
>>
>> http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html
>>
>> This includes all the input sent to me in the past several months,
>> as well as a few new tips and tricks I use on a regular basis.
>>
>> In general, this document is designed to be a quick-start cookbook,
>> and not a comprehensive introduction.
>
> there's one issue i have with this document, and that's that i wish it
> more carefully distinguished between regular git "user" tasks, and git
> "developer" tasks.
>
> i may be mistaken, but it would seem that a lot of folks are going to
> be what i call basic users, who only want to update their git tree,
> check the logs, check the status and so on. and if they start to get
> ambitious, they might make some changes to the tree, do a diff, and
> submit a patch. but in the beginning, they won't be making commits or
> switching branches, etc.
>
> in short, i can see the value of something like a "getting started
> with git as a basic user" tutorial. does such a thing exist?

hmmm. There's the tutorial linked at the bottom of the page, which in
turn links to http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

git is a developer's tool, so I sorta targetted that audience. I
definitely agree that is not only git audience...

Jeff

  Last update: 2007-12-23 13:15    [W:0.099 / U:0.396 seconds]