    SubjectRe: Updated Kernel Hacker's guide to git
    Robert P. J. Day wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    >> Another year, another update! :)
    >>
    >> The kernel hacker's guide to git has received some updates:
    >>
    >> http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html
    >>
    >> This includes all the input sent to me in the past several months,
    >> as well as a few new tips and tricks I use on a regular basis.
    >>
    >> In general, this document is designed to be a quick-start cookbook,
    >> and not a comprehensive introduction.
    >
    > there's one issue i have with this document, and that's that i wish it
    > more carefully distinguished between regular git "user" tasks, and git
    > "developer" tasks.
    >
    > i may be mistaken, but it would seem that a lot of folks are going to
    > be what i call basic users, who only want to update their git tree,
    > check the logs, check the status and so on. and if they start to get
    > ambitious, they might make some changes to the tree, do a diff, and
    > submit a patch. but in the beginning, they won't be making commits or
    > switching branches, etc.
    >
    > in short, i can see the value of something like a "getting started
    > with git as a basic user" tutorial. does such a thing exist?

    hmmm. There's the tutorial linked at the bottom of the page, which in
    turn links to http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

    git is a developer's tool, so I sorta targetted that audience. I
    definitely agree that is not only git audience...

    Jeff

      Last update: 2007-12-23 13:15    [W:0.058 / U:29.872 seconds]