    SubjectRe: Trailing periods in kernel messages
    Date
    On Thursday 20 December 2007, Alan Cox wrote:
    > The kernel printk messages are sentences.

    I'm afraid that I completely and utterly disagree. Kernel messages are _not_
    sentences. The vast majority is not well-formed and does not contain any of
    the elements that are required for a proper sentence.

    The most kernel messages can be compared to is a rather diverse and sloppy
    enumeration. And enumerations follow completely different rules than
    sentences. It can better be characterized as a "semi-random sequence of
    context-sensitive technical messages".

    IMHO the existing rule that "Kernel messages do not have to be terminated
    with a period." is completely justified, though it does need some minor
    clarification on the cases in which proper punctuation _should_ be
    followed.

      Last update: 2007-12-21 02:47    [W:0.023 / U:33.976 seconds]