SubjectRe: [patch 10/20] SEQ replacement for anonymous pages
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:17:53 +0900
KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Hi Rik-san,
>
> > To keep the maximum amount of necessary work reasonable, we scale the
> > active to inactive ratio with the size of memory, using the formula
> > active:inactive ratio = sqrt(memory in GB * 10).

> why do you think best formula is sqrt(GB*10)?
> please tell me if you don't mind.

On a 1GB system, this leads to a ratio of 3 active anon
pages to 1 inactive anon page, and a maximum inactive
anon list size of 250MB.

On a 1TB system, this leads to a ratio of 100 active anon
pages to 1 inactive anon page, and a maximum inactive
anon list size of 10GB.

The numbers in-between looked reasonable :)

Basically the requirement is that the inactive anon list
is large enough that pages get a chance to be referenced
again, but small enough that the maximum amount of work
the VM needs to do is bounded to something reasonable.

> and i have a bit worry to it works well or not on small systems.
> because it is indicate 1:1 ratio on less than 100MB memory system.
> Do you think this viewpoint?

A 1:1 ratio simply means that the inactive anon list is
the same size as the active anon list. Page replacement
should still work fine that way.

  Last update: 2007-12-19 14:43    [W:0.120 / U:0.112 seconds]