SubjectRe: Kernel 2.6.23.9 / P35 Chipset + WD 750GB Drives (reset port)
Tejun Heo wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>>> Why would you care about what's on the disk? fdisk, mkfs and
>>> the day-to-day operation will overwrite it _anyway_.
>>>
>>> (If you think the disk is not empty, you should look at it
>>> and copy off all usable warez beforehand :-)
>>>

>> Do you not test your drive for minimum functionality before using them?
>>

> I personally don't.
>

>> Also, if you have the tools to check for relocated sectors before and
>> after doing this, that's a good idea as well. S.M.A.R.T is your friend.
>> And when writing /dev/zero to a drive, if it craps out you have less
>> emotional attachment to the data.
>>

> Writing all zero isn't too useful tho. Drive failing reallocation on
> write is catastrophic failure. It means that the drive wanna relocate
> but can't because it used up all its extra space which usually indicates
> something else is seriously wrong with the drive. The drive will have
> to go to the trash can. This is all serious and bad but the catch is
> that in such cases the problem usually stands like a sore thumb so
> either vendor doesn't ship such drive or you'll find the failure very
> early. I personally haven't seen any such failure yet. Maybe I'm lucky.

The problem is usually not with what the vendor ships, but what the
carrier delivers. Bad handling does happen, "drop ship" can have several
meanings, and I have received shipments with the "G sensor" in the case
triggered. Zero is a handy source of data, but the important thing is to
look at the relocated sector count before and after the write. If there
are a lot of bad sectors initially, the drive is probably a poor choice
for anything critical.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

  Last update: 2007-12-13 23:13    [W:0.707 / U:0.752 seconds]