    SubjectRe: Next patches for the 2.6.25 queue
    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:46:42 -0500
    Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@polymtl.ca> wrote:

    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > I would like to post my next patches in a way that would make it as
    > easy for you and the community to review them. Currently, the patches
    > that have really settled down are :
    >
    > * For 2.6.25
    >
    > - Text Edit Lock
    > - Looks-good-to Ingo Molnar.
    > - Immediate Values
    > - Redux version, asked by Rusty
    >
    > * For 2.6.25 ?
    >
    > Another patchset that is technically ok (however Rusty dislikes the
    > complexity inherent to the algorithms required to be reentrant wrt NMI
    > and MCE, although it's been reviewed by the community for months). I
    > have also replyed to Ingo's concerns about effeciency of my approach
    > compared to dtrace by providing numbers, but he has not replyed yet.
    > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg238317.html
    >
    > - Markers use Immediate Values
    >
    > * Maybe for 2.6.26 ...
    >
    > Once we have this, and the instrumentation (submitted as RFC in the past
    > weeks), in the kernel, the only architecture dependent element that will
    > be left is the LTTng timestamping code.
    >
    > And then, from that point, the following patchset is mostly
    > self-contained and stops modifying code all over the kernel tree. It
    > is the LTTng tracer.
    >
    > Trying to improve my approach : I guess that submitting at most 15
    > patches at a time (each 1-2 days), against the -mmotm tree, would be the
    > way to do it ?

    Just for some context, I have...

    - 1,400-odd open bugzilla reports

    - 719 emails saved away in my emailed-bug-reports folder, all of which
    need to be gone through, asking originators to retest and
    re-report-if-unfixed.

    - A big ugly email titled "2.6.24-rc5-git1: Reported regressions from
    2.6.23" in my inbox.

    All of which makes it a bit inappropriate to be thinking about
    intrusive-looking new features.

    Ho hum. Just send me the whole lot against rc5-mm1 and I'll stick it in
    there and we'll see what breaks.

      Last update: 2007-12-13 22:37    [W:0.023 / U:29.300 seconds]