    SubjectRe: Why does reading from /dev/urandom deplete entropy so much?
    Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    >> Sounds like a local DoS attack point to me...
    >>

    > As long as /dev/random is readable for all users there's no reason to
    > use /dev/urandom for a local DoS...

    The original point was that urandom draws entropy from random, and that
    it is an an inobvious and unintentional drain on the entropy pool. At
    least that's how I read it. I certainly have programs which draw on
    urandom simply because it's a convenient source of meaningless data. I
    have several fewer since this discussion started, though, now that I
    have looked at the easy alternatives.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

      Last update: 2007-12-11 16:27    [W:3.598 / U:0.368 seconds]