SubjectRe: Possibly SATA related freeze killed networking and RAID
2007/11/21, noah <noah123@gmail.com>:
> 2007/11/21, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> > > I've had other freezes before but this was the first time I was able
> > > to see what was actually going on.
> > > IRQ 21 appears to be shared between sata_nv and ethernet.
> > >
> > > Does this mean my hardware/BIOS is broken somehow?
> >
> > Not neccessarily. It could a bug in one of the drivers using IRQ 21
> > (sata_nv or the nvidia ethernet), it could be another inactive device, or
> > it could be a hardware funny.
>
> How can I tell if there's an inactive device?
>
> > Nvidia stuff can be quite hard to diagnose as we have no documentation
> > but we can try. The first question is whether it is network or disk
> > triggered - seeing if heavy loads to one or the other trigger the problem
> > might be a first plan.
>
> I haven't managed to trigger it again yet but at the time the CPU was
> heavily loaded and I was re-indexing a database which caused a lot of
> disk activity. I'm quite confident the network was pretty much idle at
> the time.

The same thing has happened twice now, both during the weekly check of
the md0 and md1 RAID1-arrays. That is, networking on the primary
interface is dead. It's interrupt (irq 21) is shared between sata_nv
and forcedeth.

Is there anything I can do to debug this problem?

I don't have access to the logs right now but will have later.

-- noah

  Last update: 2007-12-10 13:35    [W:0.057 / U:0.544 seconds]