    SubjectRe: Laptop's HDD
    Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
    > On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
    >> The problem comes from a very high rate of load/unload cycles of the heads
    >> that reaches the 300.000-600.000 limit in 2-3 years (with smartmontools it
    >> can checked it with "smartctl -A /dev/sda") . There are reports of HDD dying
    >> even earlier for this problem [2]
    > I use:
    > # hdparm -B 255 /dev/hda
    > to get rid of the problem with an ATA disk where I do not care that much
    > about power consumption. I do not know what the equivalent for a SATA
    > disk would be, but chances are it will be easier to track it down with the
    > reference above.

    Although other power management features exist for SATA, for most hdparm
    stuff PATA and SATA are pretty much the same. Same command set, simply
    a new bus over which to transmit the commands. A great deal of early
    SATA is actually bridged PATA, even.

      Last update: 2007-11-10 04:31    [W:0.021 / U:31.028 seconds]