SubjectRe: [to-be-posted-soon] Multiple handlers per marker
Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Mike Mason (mmlnx@us.ibm.com) wrote:
>> Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

>>> It's ready for testing. Please grab
>>> http://ltt.polymtl.ca/lttng/patch-2.6.24-rc1-git13-lttng-0.10-pre18.tar.bz2
>>> patch name :
>>> markers-support-multiple-probes.patch
>> This patch alone doesn't apply cleanly at all on 2.6.24-rc1-git14. Are
>> there other patches in this series I should apply first?
>>

> Yes, the following ones should suffice :
>
> # instrumentation menu removal
> add-kconfig-to-arch.patch
> add-arch-supports-oprofile.patch
> add-arch-supports-kprobes.patch
> move-kconfig-instrumentation-to-arch.patch
> #
> kprobes-use-mutex-for-insn-pages.patch
> kprobes-dont-use-kprobes-mutex-in-arch-code.patch
> kprobes-declare-kprobes-mutex-static.patch
> declare-array.patch
> text-edit-lock-architecture-independent-code.patch
> text-edit-lock-alternative-i386-and-x86_64.patch
> text-edit-lock-kprobes-architecture-independent.patch
> text-edit-lock-kprobes-i386.patch
> text-edit-lock-kprobes-x86_64.patch
> text-edit-lock-i386-standardize-debug-rodata.patch
> text-edit-lock-x86_64-standardize-debug-rodata.patch
> #
> immediate-values-architecture-independent-code.patch
> immediate-values-kconfig-embedded.patch
> immediate-values-move-kprobes-i386-restore-interrupt-to-kdebug-h.patch
> add-asm-compat-to-x86.patch
> immediate-values-i386-optimization.patch
> immediate-values-powerpc-optimization.patch
> immediate-values-documentation.patch
> #
> linux-kernel-markers-immediate-values.patch
> #
> markers-support-multiple-probes.patch
>
> Tell me if you still have rejects.

I applied the above patches to 2.6.24-rc1-git14. They applied fine with just a few offsets until the last patch, which yielded this result:

patching file include/linux/marker.h
Hunk #5 succeeded at 162 with fuzz 2.
patching file kernel/marker.c
Hunk #14 FAILED at 534.
Hunk #15 FAILED at 587.
Hunk #16 FAILED at 621.
Hunk #17 FAILED at 732.
Hunk #18 FAILED at 769.
5 out of 19 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file kernel/marker.c.rej
patching file kernel/module.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1998 (offset -3 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 2608 (offset -37 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 2651 with fuzz 1 (offset -3 lines).
patching file include/linux/module.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 468.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 572 (offset -2 lines).
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file include/linux/module.h.rej
patching file samples/markers/probe-example.c

Mike

> Mathieu
>

>> Mike
>>
>>> It still need to go through patchcheck.pl and some polishing, but it
>>> seems to work fine for me with multiple probes (the sample marker,
>>> sample probe and multiple instances of my lttng probes can
>>> connect/disconnect without problem).
>>> Currently, the "connect/disconnect" and "arm/disarm" operations are
>>> separate. However, they could be merged. Any comment/preference on this?
>>> Being separate, a probe provider can wait until the very last moment
>>> before it activates its markers, with a minimalistic impact on the
>>> system, but it is not such a strong argument.
>>> Mathieu

  Last update: 2007-11-06 23:39    [W:0.050 / U:1.300 seconds]