    SubjectRe: Laptop's HDD
    Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Maybe some of you have been hearing lately about a problem with laptop's hard
    > disk drives being killed by *insert Linux distro here* [1]

    I asked about this on the fedora devel list:
    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-October/msg02324.html

    I don't think the kernel should worry about this.
    I don't even think distros should change the default settings of the BIOS/disk.

    Up to and including Fedora 7 on my laptop, the disk did a load cycle
    on average once every 48 seconds. Mounting the filesystems noatime changed this
    to once every 108 seconds, which is a little aggressive still but not too bad.

    Note fedora 8 will have the relatime option on by default for all filesystems.

    Pádraig.

      Last update: 2007-11-05 12:17    [W:0.020 / U:5.048 seconds]