SubjectRe: Laptop's HDD
Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe some of you have been hearing lately about a problem with laptop's hard
> disk drives being killed by *insert Linux distro here* [1]

I asked about this on the fedora devel list:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-October/msg02324.html

I don't think the kernel should worry about this.
I don't even think distros should change the default settings of the BIOS/disk.

Up to and including Fedora 7 on my laptop, the disk did a load cycle
on average once every 48 seconds. Mounting the filesystems noatime changed this
to once every 108 seconds, which is a little aggressive still but not too bad.

Note fedora 8 will have the relatime option on by default for all filesystems.

Pádraig.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans