    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86 setup: correct booting on 486 (revised)

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Well, the 32-bit code needs to set up its own stack, and only it knows where
    > it wants its stack; we don't guarantee that the stack is valid when we enter
    > the 32-bit code and we're entering with both INT and NMI disabled (requiring a
    > stack would probably break all existing users of the 32-bit entrypoint.)

    I agree. But it would be nice if some basic instructions still worked: as
    is, you cannot even do things like reloading %eflags, because the only way
    to do that requires a stack.

    > However, that being said, doing so is trivial, and it might help some
    > debugging hack; anything that makes debugging easier is a Good Thing[TM].

    Yeah. Even if it was just re-using the boot-time stack area temporarily,
    just to give code the choice to use a common set of instructions.

      Last update: 2007-11-05 19:41    [W:0.021 / U:9.152 seconds]