SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc1-82798a1 compile failure (x86_64)
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:19:45PM +0100, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>> Adrian Bunk wrote:

>>> Makefiles do normally not pick such variables from the environment.
>> ????
>>
>> Are you sure???
>>
>> From http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Environment
>>
>> : Variables in make can come from the environment in which make
>> : is run. Every environment variable that make sees when it starts
>> : up is transformed into a make variable with the same name and
>> : value.
>>
>> and most important:
>>
>> : Thus, by setting the variable CFLAGS in your environment, you
>> : can cause all C compilations in most makefiles to use the
>> : compiler switches you prefer. This is safe for variables with
>> : standard or conventional meanings because you know that no
>> : makefile will use them for other things. (Note this is not
>> : totally reliable; some makefiles set CFLAGS explicitly and
>> : therefore are not affected by the value in the environment.)
>

> Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten about the case where a
> Makefile does not set CFLAGS at all.
>
> But the main point that stuff like e.g. -I/usr/local/dist/include that
> might in some environments be correct for all and required for most
> userspace software should not leak into the kernel still stands.

Yes, you are right.
Kernel uses the gcc in "freestanding" mode, so I think we should
eventually share the compiler options and environment only with
other freestanding programs (aka: none).

ciao
cate

  Last update: 2007-11-04 19:37    [W:0.171 / U:0.236 seconds]