    SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc1-82798a1 compile failure (x86_64)
    > > If people set something like CFLAGS in their environment, they must
    > > understand what that means, and it means that universally it will
    > > influence your Makefile based builds. Yes, this means all of them and
    > > even potentially the kernel build.
    > >
    > > I definitely think the new kbuild CFLAGS behavior is just fine. I
    > > would never ever set CFLAGS globally in my environment and expect sane
    > > things to happen.
    > >
    > > If people do stupid things in their environment without being willing
    > > to accept all of the consequences, that isn't a reason to not provide
    > > this feature in kbuild.
    > >
    > > Do you even understand that taking this out of kbuild will just push
    > > the problem one level of indirection away? Say this stupid CFLAGS
    > > setting creaps into someone's gcc bootstrap, and that gcc miscompiles
    > > the kernel. You will have fun debugging that too, but I'm sad to say
    > > you won't be able to pass the blame to kbuild on that one 8-/
    > >
    > > It's just more proof that setting CFLAGS globally in your environment
    > > is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.
    > >
    > > Don't do it.
    > I'm not seeing what's stupid about this.
    > I had for years CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=v8" set in the environment on a
    > machine where I compiled virtually all software (including gcc), and
    > different similar settings on other machines, without running into any
    > problems.
    > I also doubt it's wanted that the kernel picks up the -I/-L/-R flags
    > I have set in some environments where many libraries are installed in
    > non-standard places.

    I fully agree with David that people should realize that setting some
    well-known variable can affect quite a lot.
    But I also see that people use this for pure userspace issues.
    So I will shortly submit a patch to Linus that uses KCFLAGS &
    friends and warn if a value is picked up.

      Last update: 2007-11-04 19:11    [W:0.021 / U:61.272 seconds]