    SubjectRe: [patch 05/14] percpu: Use a Kconfig variable to configure arch specific percpu setup
    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

    > Don't think it matters either way. Before percpu is allocated, NUMA
    > issues don't matter. Once they are - by whatever mechanism - you can
    > set the segment bases up appropriately. The fact that you chose to put
    > percpu data at address X doesn't affect the percpu mechanism one way or
    > the other.

    The percpu areas need to be allocated in a NUMA aware fashion. Otherwise
    you use distant memory for the most performance sensitive areas. The NUMA
    subsystem must be so far up that these allocations can be performed in the
    right way. And this means at least you need to know on which node each
    processor is located. That is what the PDA is currently used for and i386
    has no other way of doing that. I think we could use an array [NR_CPUS]
    for this one but we want to avoid these arrays because NR_CPUS may get
    very big.

      Last update: 2007-11-29 02:51    [W:0.020 / U:57.644 seconds]