Subjectirq on nforce4 and realtek RTL8168B
Hello,

I have a ASUS A6T with nforce4 and realtek RTL8111/8168B
ethernet. I am testing kernel 2.6.24-rc3-git1 on this
notebook and I have noticed strange behaviour with irq.
I pass hpet=force and acpi_use_timer_override to enable
apic, otherwise timer cpu interrupt is in old XT-PIC mode.
Unfortunately, irq balancing on turion X2 doesn't work
very well and there are extra timers interrupt. Realtek
RTL8168B shares irq 17 with nvidia 7600 go card and it is
not very good, infact if I don't use pci=nomsi option,
Realtek RTL8168B is up but doesn't transmit any packet. I
have following situation interrupt without pci=nomsi:

CPU0 CPU1
0: 57 29452 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 0 331 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge
8: 0 2 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 180 193 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 8291 133 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 2 2810 IO-APIC-edge libata
15: 5186 2646 IO-APIC-edge libata
17: 0 683 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
18: 0 2 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci1394
19: 1 45 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb1
20: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi sdhci:slot0
21: 0 292 IO-APIC-fasteoi HDA Intel
221: 0 0 PCI-MSI-edge eth1
NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 29452 8 Local timer interrupts
RES: 2799 4491 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 128 102 function call interrupts
TLB: 354 247 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
ERR: 1
MIS: 0

Besides, these problems on irq seem to break lapic with
no_hz. I don't get a working suspend memory for irq fault,
the notebook doesn't reboot after the suspend memory.
Unfortunately, the bios is very buggy and I believe ASUS
has to behave better with linux users.
I invite ASUS,AMD,NVIDIA and REALTEK manifacturers to
offer a better support for linux, and to not violate
standard ACPI specifics. I wish to be personally CC'ed the
answers/comments posted to the list in response to my
posting.

Thanks

Best Regards

Francesco

  Last update: 2007-11-26 03:41    [W:0.090 / U:0.728 seconds]