    SubjectRe: "buggy cmd640" message followed by soft lockup
    Date
    (Dropped Rafael from CC)

    On Sunday 25 November 2007, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > So either something went very very wrong or the oops itself is incorrect.
    >
    > Please put BUG() before the put_cmd640_reg() above so the next time
    > BUG happens we will know which one is it.

    I've spent quite a bit of time on this issue over the weekend and have seen
    all kinds of "interesting" behavior with various kernels with different
    debug patches, but no definite clues (except confirmation that on "good"
    boots no cmd64x hardware is detected).

    At some point I scrapped the virtual machine I had been using and created a
    new one. Since then I've been unable to reproduce the problem. I'm still
    quite confused by the issue exactly because it was so consistent when it
    _did_ happen and am still not sure if it can be blamed completely on the
    quirkiness of Virtualbox.

    I'll keep testing new kernels in VirtualBox and will keep alert for the
    issue, but for now I think it's best to forget about it.

    Bartlomiej: thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

    Cheers,
    FJP

      Last update: 2007-11-26 02:35    [W:0.023 / U:74.424 seconds]