    SubjectRe: Is it possible to give the user the option to cancel forkbombs?
    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:55:01 -0800
    Dane Mutters <> wrote:

    > I don't know if this is at all feasible, but is it possible to have a
    > mechanism that would detect a fork bomb in progress and either stop the
    > fork, or allow the user to cancel the operation? For example, are there
    > any legitimate processes (i.e. ones that really need to fork like crazy)
    > that would need to generate 200+ processes in less than 1 second?
    > (Note: I'm not a programmer; I'm just throwing out the idea.)

    If the parent PID of the new task is exported through TASKSTATS, you can
    do it already in userspace. If not, that data should be exported.

    Then you could write a root daemon using netlink, set it to RT priority
    and create an inheritable counter in it to thwart binary forking.
    The counter would be cleared every x seconds.
    No need to do it in the kernel.
      Last update: 2007-11-23 08:37    [W:0.021 / U:40.000 seconds]