    SubjectRe: Why is FIBMAP ioctl root only?
    On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 07:17:14PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I guess subject says it all - why is FIBMAP ioctl restricted only to
    > root (CAP_SYS_RAWIO)? Corresponding ioctl for XFS is allowed without any
    > special capabilities so we are inconsistent here too...
    > Would anyone mind if the check is removed?

    Once upon a time some filesystems fucked up when incorrect values
    (negative offsets in particular). So the easy way out was taken and
    FIBMAP was restricted, to the eternal annoyance of DVD players which
    needed the sector number for CSS reasons. Since then dvd players have
    included an udf parser and life went on.

    Well, psx movie players needed it too, but bah.

    Essentially if you remove the restriction you have to audit all
    filesystems to be sure that they're not going to be problematic.

      Last update: 2007-11-22 19:55    [W:0.019 / U:48.016 seconds]