    SubjectRe: Is it possible to give the user the option to cancel forkbombs?
    (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
    > I used to see stuff like this happening on my University students test servers. Once they started doing forks inside for(;;), the server would go down.
    > Then they replaced the servers by vwmare machines, and now reboots are faster.

    UNIX (and Linux) already has a feature for use in case of forkbombs,
    namely keeping a shell available, at a high priority, from which you
    manage a wide range of undesired situations. There isn't, that I know
    of, any program which responds to a magic key and does the work, but I
    think it can be written without requiring any additional kernel support.

      Last update: 2007-11-22 13:05    [W:0.021 / U:30.944 seconds]