    SubjectRe: WANTED: kernel projects for CS students
    Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:09:04 +0200 (CEST)
    > Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de> wrote:
    >> On Oct 16 2007 13:06, Mark Gross wrote:
    >>> base function:
    >>> Starting from a stock distro (FC, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE...) and put down a
    >>> kernel.org tree and automatically create a .config with all the
    >>> drivers needed for the platform I'm building on.
    >> Too easy. Since opensuse's udev loads most of the modules for your
    >> hardware, all that would be needed is to transform the lsmod list of
    >> modules plus the static options in /proc/config.gz (stuff like
    >> psmouse) back into kconfig options ;-)
    >
    > Well, at that point it does not know whether or not you
    > occasionally plug in an ipod or a digital camera.
    >
    > Going back from the lsmod output to all the right CONFIG
    > options is also not as trivial as it sounds, due to all
    > the dependencies there are.

    As part of Linux Kernel Driver DataBase, yesterday I "solved"
    also this problem:
    From a module name, I can obtain relative the kernel
    configuration item.

    You can see the result in http://cateee.net/lkddb
    (grep '^drv module' drivers-db). I count 2570 such items.

    But I've some problems on few cases:
    sometime there is one module name with more CONFIG_s.
    Normally such cases happens in modules on the same directory,
    as support module or as parent module.
    I don't see a method to distinguish the right (minimal)
    configuration.

    One solution would be to remove some dependencies on
    Makefile, and checking and ev. creating such dependencies
    on Kconfig. But this require a kernel modification.

    Or you think there is a better (non-invasive) method?

    ciao
    cate

      Last update: 2007-11-02 08:57    [W:3.481 / U:0.224 seconds]