    SubjectRe: broken suspend [Was: 2.6.24-rc2-mm1]
    Hello all,
    >>> gives coretemp_cpu_callback -> coretemp_device_remove ->
    >>> platform_device_unregister, so coretemp seems to be what I have and you don't.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > For the coretemp developers: coretemp_cpu_callback() needs to be more
    > careful about what it does. During a system sleep transition (suspend,
    > hibernate, resume) it isn't possible to register or unregister a
    > device. Attempts to register will fail and attempts to unregister will
    > block until the system sleep is over -- and for this callback that
    > means hanging.

    Well I wrote the driver. Thanks for the clarification. If I recall correctly I
    looked how this part should be done from others drivers. Now while checking
    what happened to the file, seems Rafael added something related.

    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8bb7844286fb8c9fce6f65d8288aeb09d03a5e0d

    > It's not clear what the best way is to fix this. Perhaps the CPU
    > notification should be sent along with a special flag indicating that
    > the CPU transition is part of a system sleep (although this seems
    > racy). Perhaps the driver should notice when a system sleep begins,
    > and defer all CPU-change handling until after the sleep is over.

    maybe it does exist? CPU_DOWN_PREPARE ?

    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/cpu-hotplug.txt;hb=HEAD

    Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with this, calling the
    coretemp_device_remove from CPU_DOWN_PREPARE would help? Looking at microcode
    driver, seems it just hide sysfs interface from user.

    Thanks,
    Rudolf

      Last update: 2007-11-19 21:07    [W:0.023 / U:95.076 seconds]