    SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc2-mm1 -- strange apparent network failures
    Date
    On November 17, 2007 01:16:58 am Andrew Morgan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This warning is just saying that you might want to reconsider
    > recompiling your dhclient with a newer libcap - which has native support
    > for 64-bit capabilities. This is supposed to be informative, and not be
    > associated with any particular error.
    >
    > From your comments, you believe that this patch causes something in your
    > boot process to fail. Can you supply some detail about the version of
    > dhclient you are using? I'd like to understand exactly what it is doing
    > (via libcap).
    >
    > Thanks

    The boot succeeds (and appears to bring initialize the network adapter
    properly - it autonegotiates a 100Mbps link speed), but the dhcp client is
    never able to get an address. However, applying the rc2-mm1 patch series up
    to just before:

    add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel.patch

    results in a working kernel. Applying just this patch causes the failure. To
    be sure, I also tried applying the above patch plus the following ones:

    add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel-checkpatch-fixes.patch
    add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel-fix.patch
    add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel-fix-fix.patch
    remove-unnecessary-include-from-include-linux-capabilityh.patch

    but the problem still occurs even with all of these.

    As to versions, I'm running Kubuntu gutsy, so I have the default:

    dhcp3-client 3.0.5-3ubuntu4
    libcap1 1:1.10-14build1

    packages installed.

    Let me know if you need any other information, or if you have a patch you
    would like tested.

    --
    Kevin Winchester