SubjectRe: x86: disable preemption in delay_tsc()
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:17:08 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > It sounds like it would work OK. What is the setup cost for a usleep?
> > I'd have thought that code which does something like
> >
> > while (i++ < 1000) {
> > foo();
> > udelay(1);
> > }
> >
> > would take qiute a bit longer with such a change?
>
> full roundtrip cost ought to be below 10 usecs, depending on the system.

Ow. So the above timeout would take 10x longer. That probably won't break
anything, but quite a few drivers do udelay(1) for post-IO settling times
and they might not like it.

> There's no problem doing a non-preemptible udelay up to 10 usecs and we
> could use usleep above that.

Yup, with a few smarts in there we could work out which is the best to use,
and also compensate for the setup costs.

It doesn't sound very 2.6.24ish though.

As a quicky things perhaps we could only do the preempt_disable()/preempt_enable()
if the TSCs are unsynced? Do we reliably know that? I guess not..

  Last update: 2007-11-16 08:29    [W:0.045 / U:6.888 seconds]