SubjectRe: EIP is at device_shutdown+0x32/0x60
On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:29:04PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 12:07:48PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..
>>> Greg, I don't know if this is relevant or not,
>>> but x86 has bugs in the halt/reboot code for SMP.
>>>
>>> Specifically, in native_smp_send_stop() the code now uses
>>> spin_trylock() to "lock" the shared call buffers,
>>> but then ignores the result.
>>>
>>> This means that multiple CPUs can/will clobber each other
>>> in that code.
>>>
>>> The second bug, is that this code does not wait for the
>>> target CPUs to actually stop before it continues.
>>>
>>> This was the real cause of the failure-to-poweroff problems
>>> I was having with 2.6.23, which we fixed by using CPU hotplug
>>> to disable_nonboot_cpus() before the above code ever got run.
>> I have noticed that the shutdown path is quite weird, shutting down
>> sysdev devices differently depending on the type of shutdown, which is
>> probably not good.
>> But what change are you talking about for the poweroff problem? I have
>> a _lot_ of people reporting that 2.6.22 is not powering off for them and
>> I can't seem to figure it out. Do you have a changeset for something
>> that went in to fix this issue?
> ..
>
> Well, the real bugs that cause the problem are described by me above.
> I don't have a fix for those, but the workaround is in 2.6.23
> under git 4047727e5ae33f9b8d2b7766d1994ea6e5ec2991 Fix SMP poweroff hangs.
>
> With that workaround, there's no more hanging on halt,
> though there could still be a hang on reboot.
>
> A problem with that workaround is that it has no effect unless
> the CPU hotplug code is configured (CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_SMP and pals).

Hm, that's not going to be a fix for 2.6.22 as we already do a call to
that function in that call when shutting down, something in the
2.6.23-rc series must have changed that logic to make it required again.

Oh well, thanks anyway, I'll keep trying to track this down.

greg k-h

  Last update: 2007-11-15 19:51    [W:0.132 / U:0.088 seconds]