SubjectRe: Kernel panic at boot with ondemand governor as default (2.6.24-rc2)
On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 04:23:09PM +0100, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 15:02 +0100, Eric Piel wrote:

> > > Does it work if you compile speedstep-ich as a module?
> > > If you load it, ondemand governor should still be set up automatically.
> > > If this works, could it be that the kernel does not like that
> > > queue_delayed_work_on is called that early?
> >
> > Yes, it works if I compile speedstep-ich as module. I've put the module
> > in initramfs and as soon it is loaded, the ondemand governor is selected
> > and works.
> >
> > However, do you think it's ok to prevent cpufreq drivers to be built-in
> > if ondemand governor is selected as default?
> > Another way would be to
> > reorganise the initialisation code so that workqueue is initialised
> > before the cpufreq framework is started, do you think it's possible?
> Making all this work with low-level drivers built in would be perfect of
> course...
> If nobody answers the next days, could you open a bug at
> bugzilla.kernel.org, so that this does not get lost, pls.
> Add myself and Venkatesh to CC...
> I try to have a look at it ASAP.
> If someone already finds out more, this would be great.

I'm actually surprised that speedstep-ich works with a low enough
latency for ondemand. On the kernel that works, can you boot
with cpufreq.debug=7 and send the cpufreq messages from dmesg?

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk