SubjectRe: [build bug, 2.6.24-rc1] CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m & CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=y
Hi Ingo,

On Qui, 2007-11-01 at 10:01 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Trent Piepho <xyzzy@speakeasy.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > the attached config (generated via make randconfig) fails to build due
> > > to the combination of these config entries:
> > >
> > > CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m
> > > CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146_VV=y
> > >
> > > i found no obvious Kconfig way to force VIDEO_SAA7146_VV to be modular
> > > when VIDEO_DEV is modular - is there a good solution for this?
> >
> > I guess you didn't like my reply to your first message about this?
> >
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/7/145
> >
> > kbuild support for modules used as libraries is really poor. The only
> > way to do is use select on the library module, and then have all the
> > dependencies of the selectee be included in the selector, which must
> > be done recursively so that any modules selected by the selectee have
> > their dependencies added to the selector.
>
> any patch for me to try? This bug is blocking automated randconfig
> build-testing quite frequently so it's quite a showstopper.

Trent generated a patch for it. I'll update it soon my -git. You should
notice that there were one change at av7110 that need to be applied
before Trent's patch, otherwise the saa7146 stuff will be broken if V4L1
is not selected.

--
Cheers,
Mauro