SubjectRFC: remove CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
I'm about to send a patch that removes the EXPERIMENTAL option and all
dependencies on EXPERIMENTAL because they are pointless.

Complete rationale:
- Many people and all distributions are currently forced to enable
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL since the options for many device drivers depend
on this option.
I have yet to see someone not being able to install his favorite
distribution on his computer only because the distribution did choose
to disable all SATA drivers with dependencies on EXPERIMENTAL in their
kernels...
- History has shown that often the dependency on EXPERIMENTAL is not
removed when the code has proven usable.
As an example, is our NFSv4 support really still in an
"alpha-test phase" [1], or is it already ready for being used?
I don't know the answer in this specific case, but I wouldn't answer
"still in an alpha-test phase" only based on the fact that the NFSv4
options still depend on EXPERIMENTAL.
- It might have been differently 10 years ago, but today everything that
is available in a released kernel should also be in a usable state.

cu
Adrian

[1] quoted from the CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL help text

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed