    Lennart Sorensen wrote:

    >> You're talking about byte endian. I'm talking about bit endian -- the
    >> order of bits within a byte. Software cannot know what the bit endian is,
    >> but external devices that have memory-mapped registers can know.
    > The guy wiring up the hardware should connect the wires correctly.

    I'm sure they're correct, my problem is that how can my driver know what they are?

    > Doesn't the bus usually have some definition of bit order which the
    > device would have to adhere to? After all there must be address lines
    > somewhere.

    I was hoping that there would be some compile-time constant I could check that
    would give me this information.

    > Does this perhaps offer anything useful?

    Yeah, I read that article some time ago when trying to diagnose the problem I
    was seeing. It does explain the point I'm trying to make. We have a device
    that's used on two product lines: one ARM-based, and one PowerPC. The ARM is
    little-endian, and the PowerPC is big-endian. The device can support
    little-endian or big-endian data, as long as the bit-order matches the byte-order.

    For now, I'm going to have to assume that they do match.

    Timur Tabi
    Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale

      Last update: 2007-10-09 19:59    [W:0.023 / U:10.368 seconds]