SubjectRe: [code] Unlimited partitions, a try
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:11:52 -0700

>>> Now when we have 20-bit minors, can't we simply recycle some of the
>>> higher bits for additional partitions, across the board? 63
>>> partitions seem to have been sufficient; at least I haven't heard
>>> anyone complain about that for 15 years.
>>
>> This was proposed ages ago. Al Viro vetoed sparse minors and it has been
>> stuck this way ever since. If you have > 15 partitions use device mapper
>> for it. I'd prefer it fixed but its arguable that device mapper is the
>> right way to punt all our partitioning to userspace
>
> Sure. However, that takes having that bit of userspace in even the most
> trivial configurations, and not just on bootup, but continuously.

I'm not sure that configurations requiring more than 15 partitions are
properly described as "trivial." Which is not to disagree with your
point about required user tools, but most systems needing such tools
will be large and complex enough that a userspace solution will be
acceptable.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>