SubjectRe: [patch 0/6][RFC] Cleanup FIBMAP
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:57:06 +0100
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ->bmap is ugly and horrible! If you have to do this at the very
> least please cause ->bmap64 to be able to return error values in case
> the file system failed to get the information or indeed such
> information does not exist as is the case for compressed and
> encrypted files for example and also for small files that are inside
> the on-disk inode (NTFS resident files and reiserfs packed tails are
> examples of this).
>
> And another of my pet peeves with ->bmap is that it uses 0 to mean
> "sparse" which causes a conflict on NTFS at least as block zero is
> part of the $Boot system file so it is a real, valid block... NTFS
> uses -1 to denote sparse blocks internally.

Reiserfs and Btrfs also use 0 to mean packed. It would be nice if there
was a way to indicate your-data-is-here-but-isn't-alone. But that's
more of a feature for the FIEMAP stuff.

-chris

  Last update: 2007-10-29 17:17    [W:0.086 / U:0.712 seconds]