    SubjectCONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO & 2.4.32 & hdparm -d1

    I am running Linux on a PC104 board from a compact flash card. Because
    the physical DMA lines are missing on some of the compact flash
    carrier cards, I would like to be able to boot with DMA disabled and
    to enable DMA in a later stage if desired (and supported by hardware).

    The problem is that when I set CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO to FALSE, I cannot
    enable DMA anymore with hdparm, not even with hardware that supports
    DMA. If I set CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO to TRUE, I can use hdparm to disable
    and enable DMA (but of course I get long timeouts with the carrier
    cards that do not have the physical DMA lines).

    Q1: Is this how the CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO setting is supposed to work in
    combination with hdparm?
    Q2: Is there a way to boot with DMA disabled and to enable it later on
    once the system is up and running?

    Kernel: 2.4.32
    Chipset: CS5530

    Any help is highly appreciated!

      Last update: 2007-10-29 15:15    [W:0.021 / U:5.036 seconds]