SubjectRe: [patch 2/2] cpusets: add interleave_over_allowed option

Agreed, as I wrote earlier:
> It should work with libnuma and be
> fully upward compatible with current code (except perhaps code that
> depends on getting an error from requesting MPOL_INTERLEAVE on a node
> not allowed.)

Without at least this sort of change to MPOL_INTERLEAVE nodemasks,
allowing either empty nodemasks (Lee's proposal) or extending them
outside the current cpuset (what I'm cooking up now), there is no way
for a task that is currently confined to a single node cpuset to say
anything about how it wants be interleaved in the event that it is
subsequently moved to a larger cpuset. Currently, such a task is only
allowed to pass exactly one particular nodemask to set_mempolicy
MPOL_INTERLEAVE calls, with exactly the one bit corresponding to its
current node. No useful information can be passed via an API that only
allows a single legal value.

But you knew that ...

You were just correcting my erroneously unqualified statement. Good.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability