SubjectRe: IRQ off latency of printk is very high
On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:44:31PM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
> I've been looking at 'IRQ off' latency in the Linux kernel, on
> version 2.6.22 for target using an ARM processor.
> I use a serial console, at 115200 bps.

Printk to the serial console uses polled I/O to get deterministic,
reliable, and -timely- output. If our very next statement (or interrupt)
may lock up the box, we want to be sure our printk has actually been
delivered before that happens.

Kindof a bummer for realtime, but also rather hard to get around.

2000bits @ 115200bps -> 17.4ms

> Are these are really needed, with all this other locking
> going on? Any ideas for fixing this?

Well, we could have a commandline option that made messages with a
priority below X go out buffered. But it'd be a lousy default from a
debugging perspective.