    SubjectRe: LSM conversion to static interface
    On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:47:36PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    >> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 07:24:42PM -0700, Thomas Fricaccia wrote:
    >>> Yes, I think Crispin has succinctly summed it up: irrevocably closing
    >>> the LSM prevents commercial customers from using security modules other
    >>> than that provided by their Linux distributor.
    >> Any "customer" using a security model other than provided by their Linux
    >> distributor instantly voided all support from that distro by doing that.
    >> So, since the support is gone, they can easily build their own kernels,
    >> with their own LSM interfaces, and get the exact same lack of support :)
    > Running a vendor kernel has the advantage of reusing all the QA work that
    > has gone into that kernel. It is very different from running 2.6.24-rc1
    > (or 2.6.22.x). Hence projects like centos: you don't get any support, but
    > the likelihood of actually requiring support is lower than running some
    > random kernel.

    You can also get the QA work by building your own kernel from vendor
    kernel sources.

    E.g. the Debian distribution ships a package linux-source-2.6.18 that
    contains a linux-source-2.6.18.tar.bz2 with the patched 2.6.18 kernel
    sources Debian uses for building its kernels.

    > [but I agree that someone who has somehow determined that they need a
    > specific LSM will probably have determined that they need vendor support as
    > well]

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2007-10-23 18:07    [W:0.066 / U:21.152 seconds]