SubjectRe: LSM conversion to static interface
Quoting Jan Engelhardt (jengelh@computergmbh.de):

> On Oct 23 2007 10:20, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> >
> >Once the per-process capability bounding set is accepted
> >(http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/3/315) you will be able to do something
> >like:
> >
> > 1. Create user 'jdoe' with uid 0
>
> UID 0 is _not_ acceptable for me.

I'm aware.

> > 2. write a pam module which, when jdoe logs in, takes
> > CAP_NET_ADMIN out of his capability bounding set
> > 3. Now jdoe can log in with the kind of capabilities subset
> > you describe.
>
> It is not that easy.
> CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE is given to the subadmin to bypass the pre-security
> checks in kernel code, and then the detailed implementation of
> limitation is done inside multiadm.

You mean the read/write split?

> This is not just raising or lowering capabilities.

Nope, but it's related, and as I pointed out below it fits in pretty
nicely.

> >It's not a perfect solution, since it doesn't allow jdoe any way at all
> >to directly execute a file with more caps (setuid and file capabilities
> >are subject to the capbound). So there is certainly still a place for
> >multiadm.
>
> A normal user can execute suid binaries today, and so can s/he with mtadm.
> I do not see where that will change - it does not need any caps atm.

And he will still be able to *run* the suid binary, but if cap_bound is
reduced he won't be able to use capabilities taken out of the bounding
set, multiadm loaded or not.

-serge

  Last update: 2007-10-23 17:37    [W:0.078 / U:0.328 seconds]