    SubjectRe: futex strangeness in 2.6.23-mm1/UML
    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:11:43 -0400
    Rik van Riel <> wrote:

    > I have my systems set up to automount my home directory over
    > NFS when I log in. When trying to log in to the system with
    > 2.6.23-mm1, I get the messages from above in my syslog, and
    > the NFS filesystem is not automounted.
    > I am thinking something in autofs or the pid-namespace* patches
    > does not match up and uses a wrong PID number or process pointer
    > when trying to lock things.
    > Which code is at fault I have no idea...

    I still do not know for sure, but I have found some code that
    puzzles me.

    At fork() time, task->pid is set to task->pid->numbers[0].nr

    On the other hand, fork() returns to the parent process:

    I have not unravelled the code enough yet to be sure whether
    this is always the same number, but having a wrong PID number
    somewhere could certainly explain these autofs4 errors:

    Oct 22 14:39:01 kenny automount[2299]: cache_readlock: mapent cache
    rwlock lock failed
    Oct 22 14:39:01 kenny automount[2299]: unexpected pthreads error: 11 at
    65 in cache.c

    After all, autofs4 puts various kinds of PID information of the
    daemon into the autofs4 waitqueue:

    wq->uid = current->uid;
    wq->gid = current->gid;
    wq->pid = current->pid;
    wq->tgid = current->tgid;

    Could this be related?

    Wrt. the UML failures that Miklos is seeing, I imagine UML needs
    to do some similar tricks.

      Last update: 2007-10-23 03:41    [W:0.022 / U:59.760 seconds]