    SubjectRe: tristate and bool not enogh for Kconfig anymore
    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:46:43 +0200
    > > In that kernel CONFIG_SCSI_QLA_FC is set to y but still it is not
    > > possible to boot from any of those cards as the driver requires a
    > > firmware file.
    > Then an initrd-less boot is impossible for this
    > device - even the modular approach needs
    > an initrd to load the module if you want that
    > device as root fs.

    Today I was able to boot from an FC disk with a modified kernel 2.6.21
    without any initrd. The modification was basically to replace the contents
    of drivers/scsi/qla2xxx with the code in qla2xxx-v8.02.02-dist.tgz from as that driver has the
    firmware built in.

    > Better to just fix the driver - which can't be that
    > hard for anyone capable of making the driver in
    > the first place. Modularity and firmware loading
    > are not connected. One is for kernel flexibility, the other
    > is for making a particular device work.

    In this case I finally did prefer a solution which didn't depend on any
    separate firmware file. Being able to boot straight to the FC drive
    without the need of initrd was really nice.

    When I first asked my question I assumed that I would have to compile the
    driver as a module and use an initrd containing both the module and the
    firmware together with userspace mechanisms to load the firmware. This
    solution with a replaced qla2xxx driver was not the answer to my first
    question about bool and tristate, but that question also got answered in
    this thread.

    Best regards Henrik

      Last update: 2007-10-22 23:53    [W:0.047 / U:8.896 seconds]