    SubjectRe: tristate and bool not enogh for Kconfig anymore
    Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 05:27:51PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
    >> Yes, there is a call to usermodehelper_init() before the initcalls in
    >> do_basic_setup(), this does mean that firmware can be loaded by means of
    >> the old and obsolete /sbin/hotplug mechanism, but who has /sbin/hotplug now?
    > I do. We're not going to cripple the kernel just because you use <censored> userspace.
    AFAIK, there were good reasons (effect similar to fork bomb on a system
    with large number of, e.g., SCSI disks - Greg KH obviously knows more
    details) to drop /sbin/hotplug from all distributions in favour of udev.
    Anyway, the "hotplug" package is no longer supported by its author. So
    there is no option to use a non-<censored> from your viewpoint but still
    supported-upstream userspace.

    As already mentioned in a different subthread, the solution is to wait
    for the firmware in the background, so that the built-in case also
    starts working. Drivers that don't do this (e.g. qla2xxx) must be fixed,
    but for now, IMHO, it does make sense to mark them as non-working in the
    non-modular case.

    Alexander E. Patrakov

      Last update: 2007-10-22 15:21    [W:0.024 / U:2.524 seconds]