SubjectRe: How Inactive may be much greather than cached?
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 17:27:00 +1000
Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Some filesystems, including I believe, ext3 with data=ordered,
> can leave orphaned pages around after they have been truncated
> out of the pagecache. These pages get left on the LRU and vmscan
> reclaims them pretty easily.

How can the VM recognize those pages? Are they part of
the buffer cache, part of the page cache, or different?

I think it would make sense to at least try to rotate
those pages to the end of the LRU so kswapd can get rid
of them quickly.