SubjectRe: error: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1) with different process and kernels
Arnaud Fontaine <> writes:

> Dave> Many of these that I've seen have turned out to be a hardware
> Dave> problem. Try running memtest86+ on that machine for a while.
> Dave> It doesn't catch all problems, but it will highlight more
> Dave> common memory faults.
> Hello,
> We ran memtest86+ before production, it was about one month ago. Do you
> think it could come from that anyway?

I find that a lot of the time memtest does not reveal an error. Only
when you combine multiple sources or on random access do you get
errors. For example compiling a kernel while doing heavy I/O on the
disk. But that might just be me. Errors are rather random occurances.

Compiling a kernel repeadatly and multiple in parallel is usualy a
good test. If it sometimes fails to compile then it is near certain a
hardware error.