    SubjectRe: Understanding lspci output
    Hello Martin,

    Martin Mares wrote:

    >> I ran lspci -vvv on a system:
    >> http://linux.kernel.free.fr/halt/lspci.txt
    >>
    >> (I used lspci version 2.2.5 in case it matters.)
    >>
    >> But I'm having a hard time making sense of the output.
    >>
    >> 1. How many PCI buses are there in the system?
    >
    > Two, just see the bus numbers of the devices. (However, there might be
    > additional buses with no devices present and in case these are connected
    > to a separate host bridge, they need not be visible.)
    >
    >> 4. Does the system have a PCI-X bus?
    >
    > Yes, the devices on bus 01 are PCI-X devices, so there is a PCI-X bus.

    I thought PCI-X devices could operate on a PCI bus? If that is true,
    then the presence of a PCI-X device would not necessarily imply the
    presence of a PCI-X bus, right?

    There are no external PCI-X slots in the system, only 2 PCI slots.
    The 4 NICs are integrated to the motherboard.
    http://advantech.com/products/1U-Rackmount-Intel-Pentium-4Processor-based-Platform-with-4PCI-LAN-Ports-2-PCI-Expansion-Slots/mod_1-23A2W4.aspx

    >> 2. Do any of the PCI buses support 66 MHz operation?
    >
    > Yes, PCI-X does.

    So the 01:0f.0 device (Multimedia video controller) is on the same bus
    as the 4 PCI-X devices and will have to share the bus bandwidth?

    Does 66MHz+ in the Status line means this device is running at 66 MHz?

    >> 3. Do any of the PCI slots support 64-bit data path?
    >
    > This cannot be inferred from the lspci output -- there is no way how to
    > tell if a bus has physical slots or it exists only internally.

    Can I use lspci to see whether a specific PCI device is using a 64-bit
    data path? (e.g. the 01:0f.0 device)

    Regards.

      Last update: 2007-10-17 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:60.988 seconds]