    SubjectRe: What still uses the block layer?
    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Greg KH wrote:

    > On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 05:08:36AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
    >>> Umm, not quite, from my experiences with pre-production wireless
    >>> drivers, (another story, another time) fancy stuff is being done in
    >>> udev to make sure that your gigabit card is always assigned to eth0.
    >> I remember building a 2.4 kernel, statically linking in all the drivers, and
    >> getting the ethernet devices showing up in a reliable order for years. Where
    >> does the need for fancy stuff come in?
    > Because PCI devices reorder their bus numbers all the time. And we have
    > ethernet devices hanging off of USB connections now (yes, even built-in
    > to the machine), and we have network connections on other hot-pluggable
    > busses (remember, PCI is hot pluggable.)

    do PCI devices reorder their bus numbers spontaniously, or only if you
    change the hardware?

    > So, the distros need to name network devices in a persistant way, that
    > is why the distros now do this. If you don't like the distro doing it,
    > complain to them, it's not a kernel issue :)

    I have, at least the response was to tell me how to kill this 'feature'
    even if they won't change it.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2007-10-16 04:53    [W:0.020 / U:195.176 seconds]