    SubjectRe: WANTED: kernel projects for CS students
    On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 10:04:11AM -0700, Mark Gross wrote:
    > On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 07:01:28PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > The kernel newbies community often gets inquiries from CS students who
    > > need a project for their studies and would like to do something with
    > > the Linux kernel, but would also like their code to be useful to the
    > > community afterwards.
    > >
    > > In order to make it easier for them, I am trying to put together a
    > > page with projects that:
    > > - Are self contained enough that the students can implement the
    > > project by themselves, since that is often a university requirement.
    > > - Are self contained enough that Linux could merge the code (maybe
    > > with additional changes) after the student has been working on it
    > > for a few months.
    > > - Are large enough to qualify as a student project, luckily there is
    > > flexibility here since we get inquiries for anything from 6 week
    > > projects to 6 month projects.
    > >
    > > If you have ideas on what projects would be useful, please add them
    > > to this page (or email me):
    > >

    > Is there already a make config option that will do a good job at setting
    > a default .config file based on what is already running on a system?
    I have discussed this briefly with Kay Sievers.
    What udev can provide is the list of modules needed, so what the kernel
    need to provide is a simple module to CONFIG option(s) converter + a base
    config to start out with.
    Nothing particular difficult but needs a few days work to do.

      Last update: 2007-10-15 20:31    [W:0.019 / U:3.064 seconds]