SubjectRe: What still uses the block layer?
On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 06:45:44PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2007 5:24:32 pm James Bottomley wrote:
> > >
> > > Entirely incorrect.
> >
> > OK, right ... could we please get a sense of decorum back on this list.
>
> Did I reply to the insult?
>
> > Rob, if you didn't ask your alleged questions in such a pejorative
> > manner, we'd get a lot further
>
> I'm not attempting to be pejorative.
>
> I admit a certain amount of personal annoyance that once the SCSI layer
> consumes a category of device (USB, SATA, PATA), they can often _only_ be
> used by going through the SCSI midlayer. (This strikes me as analogous to
> TCP/IP claiming ethernet and PPP devices so thoroughly that you can no longer
> address them as eth1 or /dev/ttyS0.)

If you hate USB storage devices using scsi, please use the ub driver,
that is what it was written for.

> This has the annoying effect of bundling together different types of devices
> and making device enumeration unnecessarily difficult: my laptop only has one
> SATA hard drive and can't gain another without a soldering iron, but that
> drive could move from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb if I reboot the system with a USB
> key plugged in. This seems like a regrettable loss of orthogonality to me.
> I remember back when /dev/usb0 and /dev/hda were separate devices that showed
> up in /dev, but these days "it's SCSI" seems to trump "it's USB", "it's ATA",
> or "it's SATA". (Even though none of those are actually SCSI hardware, they
> just send a similar packet protocol across the wire.)

When did usb-storage devices ever show up as /dev/usb0? USB flash disks
are really SCSI devices, look at the USB storage spec for proof of that.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2007-10-15 08:09    [W:0.180 / U:0.268 seconds]