SubjectRe: msync(2) bug(?), returns AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE to userland

On 10/15/07, Erez Zadok <> wrote:
> Pekka, with a small change to your patch (to handle time-based cache
> coherency), your patch worked well and passed all my tests. Thanks.
> So now I wonder if we still need the patch to prevent AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE
> from being returned to userland. I guess we still need it, b/c even with
> your patch, generic_writepages() can return AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE back to
> the VFS and we need to ensure that doesn't "leak" outside the kernel.

I wonder whether _not setting_ BDI_CAP_NO_WRITEBACK implies that
->writepage() will never return AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE for
!wbc->for_reclaim case which would explain why we haven't hit this bug
before. Hugh, Andrew?

And btw, I think we need to fix ecryptfs too.