SubjectRe: gigabit ethernet power consumption
Kok, Auke <> wrote:
> K.Prasad wrote:

>> Without the side-effect of experiencing a link-flap when switching to a
>> lower-speed (with its toll in terms of down-time for auto-negotiation,
>> STP, etc), the Interrupt Moderation Algorithm dynamically adjusts the
>> number of interrupts based on traffic - and presumably consume less
>> power. For an "Optimise for Power" kind of profile - the driver can be
>> loaded with a higher throttle rate during boot-time.
> We're changing this to be run-time adjustable in newer drivers.
> However, the power consumed by your nic staying in gigabit mode is much
> greater in the long run then what you can save by trying to scrounge for
> milliwatts reducing interrupts generated by the nic. By default it already
> moderates them somewhat. Practically this feature is really not useful for
> powersaving, it just won't add up to actual benefits in a real life situtation
> I think.

Just a thought:
How much power does a non-connected NIC consume, and can you save power
by forcing 10 MBit until a link is detected (doubling negotiation time)?
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
22. hey, what does mkfs do?

Friß, Spammer: