    SubjectRe: gigabit ethernet power consumption
    Kok, Auke <> wrote:
    > K.Prasad wrote:

    >> Without the side-effect of experiencing a link-flap when switching to a
    >> lower-speed (with its toll in terms of down-time for auto-negotiation,
    >> STP, etc), the Interrupt Moderation Algorithm dynamically adjusts the
    >> number of interrupts based on traffic - and presumably consume less
    >> power. For an "Optimise for Power" kind of profile - the driver can be
    >> loaded with a higher throttle rate during boot-time.
    > We're changing this to be run-time adjustable in newer drivers.
    > However, the power consumed by your nic staying in gigabit mode is much
    > greater in the long run then what you can save by trying to scrounge for
    > milliwatts reducing interrupts generated by the nic. By default it already
    > moderates them somewhat. Practically this feature is really not useful for
    > powersaving, it just won't add up to actual benefits in a real life situtation
    > I think.

    Just a thought:
    How much power does a non-connected NIC consume, and can you save power
    by forcing 10 MBit until a link is detected (doubling negotiation time)?
    Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
    22. hey, what does mkfs do?

    Friß, Spammer:

      Last update: 2007-10-12 04:11    [W:0.021 / U:15.584 seconds]