    SubjectRe: Gaming Interface
    At 13:13 +0100 8/1/07, Dirk wrote:
    >Trent Waddington wrote:
    > > Call me crazy, but game manufacturers want directx right? You aint
    > > running that in the kernel.
    >They want something like DirectX that changes it's API less frequent
    >than DirectX and that compiles as a module because you don't want to run
    >it in the kernel.

    Whats wrong with just using SDL/OpenGL? Thousands of games are made
    with SDL/OpenGL, and there are realms of Linux usage where this works
    just fine, especially for games (GP2X, etc). In case you didn't
    notice, plenty of pro Game Developers use SDL/OpenGL just fine for
    their needs, and get the job done without grumbling and groaning
    about needing to have their hands held through the process.

    I fail to see the reason this requirement has to be a 'kernel'
    interface, other than pure sheer laziness and inability to grok on
    the part of the so-called professional Game Developers. Gaming is
    only *one* kind of application for the Linux kernel - shall we burden
    the kernel with everything everyone wants just because people fail to
    understand the proper way to assemble a Linux-based kit for their
    specific application needs? (Hint: work with the distro builders.)

    Just my .2c, but anyone suggesting that API's be crowbar'ed into the
    kernel "just to make it easier to get what you want from a single
    source" is probably not as familiar with the underlying technology,
    nor the reasons for its structured organization, as they ought to be
    before making such suggestions ..

    Jay Vaughan

      Last update: 2007-01-08 12:19    [W:0.020 / U:2.304 seconds]