SubjectRe: Gaming Interface
At 13:13 +0100 8/1/07, Dirk wrote:
>Trent Waddington wrote:
> > Call me crazy, but game manufacturers want directx right? You aint
> > running that in the kernel.
>They want something like DirectX that changes it's API less frequent
>than DirectX and that compiles as a module because you don't want to run
>it in the kernel.

Whats wrong with just using SDL/OpenGL? Thousands of games are made
with SDL/OpenGL, and there are realms of Linux usage where this works
just fine, especially for games (GP2X, etc). In case you didn't
notice, plenty of pro Game Developers use SDL/OpenGL just fine for
their needs, and get the job done without grumbling and groaning
about needing to have their hands held through the process.

I fail to see the reason this requirement has to be a 'kernel'
interface, other than pure sheer laziness and inability to grok on
the part of the so-called professional Game Developers. Gaming is
only *one* kind of application for the Linux kernel - shall we burden
the kernel with everything everyone wants just because people fail to
understand the proper way to assemble a Linux-based kit for their
specific application needs? (Hint: work with the distro builders.)

Just my .2c, but anyone suggesting that API's be crowbar'ed into the
kernel "just to make it easier to get what you want from a single
source" is probably not as familiar with the underlying technology,
nor the reasons for its structured organization, as they ought to be
before making such suggestions ..

--

;

Jay Vaughan