SubjectRe: How git affects kernel.org performance
On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 02:59:52PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > Would e2fsck -D help? What kind of optimization
> > > does it perform?
> >
> > It will help a little; e2fsck -D compresses the logical view of the
> > directory, but it doesn't optimize the physical layout on disk at all,
> > and of course, it won't help with the lack of readahead logic. It's
> > possible to improve how e2fsck -D works, at the moment, it's not
> > trying to make the directory be contiguous on disk. What it should
> > probably do is to pull a list of all of the blocks used by the
> > directory, sort them, and then try to see if it can improve on the
> > list by allocating some new blocks that would make the directory more
> > contiguous on disk. I suspect any improvements that would be seen by
> > doing this would be second order effects at most, though.
>
> ...sounds like a job for e2defrag, not e2fsck...

I wasn't proposing to move other data blocks around in order make the
directory be contiguous, but just a "quick and dirty" try to make
things better. But yes, in order to really fix layout issues you
would have to do a full defrag, and it's probably more important that
we try to fix things so that defragmentation runs aren't necessary in
the first place....

- Ted

  Last update: 2007-01-08 15:25    [W:0.250 / U:0.436 seconds]