    SubjectRe: OT: character encodings (was: Linux 2.6.20-rc4)
    On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 15:05 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
    > This has been bugging me for a while.
    > Viewing the mail I applied in mutt shows his name correctly as Rafał
    > Applying it with git-applymbox and viewing the log on master.kernel.org
    > with git log shows Rafa<B3> And then later when put into email
    > it turns into Rafa³

    I believe you need to use the misnamed '-u' option to git-applymbox,
    which _really_ ought to be the default behaviour. Otherwise, it fails to
    pay any attention to the character set tags in the mail it's decoding --
    it commits the sin which rmk was whining about; assuming the input data
    is of a given type and ignoring the explicit tags which indicate the
    contrary.

    The '-u' option is misdocumented as 'causes the resulting commit to be
    encoded in utf-8', but in fact I believe it doesn't necessarily do that
    -- it actually causes the resulting commit to be encoded in the
    configured storage charset for the repository, which just _happens_ to
    default to UTF-8 unless otherwise specified. That is something which
    should definitely be the _default_ behaviour.

    We should make the '-u' behaviour the default, and if anyone really
    wants the old behaviour of importing arbitrary data in untagged
    binary form overriding its labelling then they can have a separate
    option which does that.

    --
    dwmw2