SubjectRe: How git affects kernel.org performance
Willy Tarreau wrote:

> At work, we had the same problem on a file server with ext3. We use rsync
> to make backups to a local IDE disk, and we noticed that getdents() took
> about the same time as Peter reports (0.2 to 2 seconds), especially in
> maildir directories. We tried many things to fix it with no result,
> including enabling dirindexes. Finally, we made a full backup, and switched
> over to XFS and the problem totally disappeared. So it seems that the
> filesystem matters a lot here when there are lots of entries in a
> directory, and that ext3 is not suitable for usages with thousands
> of entries in directories with millions of files on disk. I'm not
> certain it would be that easy to try other filesystems on kernel.org
> though :-/

Changing filesystems would mean about a week of downtime for a server.
It's painful, but it's doable; however, if we get a traffic spike during
that time it'll hurt like hell.

However, if there is credible reasons to believe XFS will help, I'd be
inclined to try it out.

-hpa

  Last update: 2007-01-07 10:03    [W:0.193 / U:0.144 seconds]